Thursday, July 31, 2014

Lake Ronkonkama, New York



During my recovery from surgery, I looked through old pictures my mother left me before she passed on. Memories came flooding back when I saw one picture of the four of us at Lake Ronkonkama, Long Island, New York. I grew up in Oyster Bay until I was 12 when we headed west.
Every summer my parents would rent a row boat and my father would row the boat with us in it along the lake. I was surrounded by trees, beautiful old trees bursting with leaves that changed in the fall. We fed ducks and enjoyed the quiet of a lake filled with legends of Native American folk lore.
I never quite understood the legends when I was young, all I knew was my family was together experiencing a special quite moment. The feeling of togetherness is something I have kept with me all these years. I went on the internet and found the latest pictures and write up of the lake, but nothing trumps the family feelings I remember.

Enjoy the rest of summer and build memories with your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment